First Look Winter 2018: Romantic Realists
First Look rounds up leading paint brands’ colors of the year in “Romantics & Realists,” a trends vignette that will be on display Jan. 28-Feb. 1 at Las Vegas Market. The color range spans a fiery red and an alluring watery blue to blackened grays and a serene pastel —when viewed as a whole, the hues are evocative of the passionate artists who lauded emotion and sentiment, the early 19th Century Romantics, as well as their immediate successors, the socially-minded Realists.
"The color range spans a fiery red and alluring watery blue to blackened grays and a serene pastel."
We brush up on our art history for "Romantics & Realists," and revisit the patriotic reds and blues of master works such as Eugène Delacroix’s grand “Liberty Leading the People.” Meanwhile, we consider the shadowy hues and toiled figures immortalized by late 19th Century masters such as Jean-Francois Millet, Gustave Courbet and Honoré Daumier.
“Romantics & Realists” nods to both art movements in this color mélange — you’ll see examples this winter from Mitchell Black, TOV Furniture, Manhattan Comfort and Dimond Lighting, to name just a few. Spot them in the First Look vignettes, the companion First Look publication and the CEU-accredited seminar (Monday, Jan. 29, at 10 a.m. in Building B’s WorldView on Sixteen). Here are the paint brands that will help to tell the story:
- Sherwin-Williams’ Oceanside (SW 6496), a marine blue balanced with green jewel tones.
- Benjamin Moore’s Caliente (AF-290), a vibrant and energetic red.
- Pratt & Lambert’s Heron (27-18), a statement blue that recalls the midnight hours.
- Behr’s In the Moment (T18-15), a restorative spruce blue that seems equal parts blue, gray and green.
- Pittsburgh Paints’ Blackhearth (MEN7080-6), a restorative purple-black that pairs well with high-contrast options.
- Glidden’s Deep Onyx (OONN 07/000), an easy-going black that suits no-fuss interiors.
- OLYMPIC’s Black Magic (OL 116), a comforting neutral that’s equally effective as an interior or exterior color.
See Romantic Realists — plus three additional trend vignettes — at Las Vegas Market, January 28 - February 1.
Spot the products-packed First Look display at Winter Market in the centrally located World Market Center Grand Plaza. Be sure to pick up your copy of the companion First Look guide, and plan to attend the First Look presentation featuring curator and editor Julie Smith Vincenti.
The CEU-accredited seminar will be held Monday, January 29 at 10 a.m. in Building B, WorldView on Sixteen.